2 Timothy 3:16, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
In our study verse, the word inspiration means that it came from God. The scripture that Timothy had in his possession was the inspired and preserved Word of the Lord. This point cannot be stressed enough. Every member of the Church should be assured that the King James Bible they are reading every day is the preserved Word of God. The devil has attacked the Bible in every generation. Why? Because it is from the Lord and it is always profitable. In every situation of life, we can find answers in our Bibles. The devil, according to Revelation 12:12, knows he has a “short time” to torment the children of God. One of his efforts is to cast doubt on the truth that will bring comfort and peace to God’s little children. The Bible will teach us what’s right, what’s wrong, how to get right when wrong, and how to stay right when we are right. Someone may ask, “How will reading God’s word profit me?” The answers are simple and found throughout the word of God and are as follows:
(1) According to Revelation 1:3, “Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy.” If we read the word of God and attend Church on a regular basis to hear the word of the Lord read and preached, we are a blessed people. How many children of God in our time and in times past have not enjoyed such a precious blessing?
(2) Job 23:12, “I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.” If we read the word of God on a regular basis we are spiritually nourished as children of God. We who are commanded to be teachers, soldiers, spiritual farmers, and athletes running a race (2 Tim 2:1-6 and Hebrews 12:1-2) need to be nourished properly to function as disciples of Jesus Christ our Lord.
(3) Psalms 119:99-100, “I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.” If we read the word of God, we are instructed in ways that the carnal mind knows not.
(4) Psalms 119:105, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” By reading the word of God, we are guided in living our lives in the will of the Lord. I’ve spoken to many children of God who searched for the will of God for their life. My answer is usually in a question. Have you tried reading God’s word?
(5) Proverbs 30:5, “Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.” By reading the word of God, we are shielded from the false teachers and false doctrines of the world.